Product number: NCM0037
BCYE Agar is used (with appropriate supplementation) for the isolation of Legionella spp. from water and environmental samples. BCYE Agar is not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions in humans.
In 1977, McDade et al. identified Legionella pneumophila as the causative agent of Legionnaires’ disease, a multisystem disease manifested primarily by pneumonia. In 1978 a new medium, F-G Agar, resulted in improved growth of L. pneumophila, a very fastidious organism. Freely et al. modified F-C Agar by substituting yeast extract as a vitamin source and replacing starch with activated charcoal, producing Charcoal Yeast Extract (CYE) Agar. In 1980, Pasculle et al. reported that CYE Agar could be improved by the addition of ACES (N-2-acetamido-2-aminoethane sulfonic acid) buffer. One year later, Edelstein further increased the sensitivity of the medium by adding the potassium salt of alpha-ketoglutaric acid.
|Yeast Extract||10.0 g/L|
|Ferric Pyrophosphate||0.25 g/L|
|ACES Buffer||10.0 g/L|
|Potassium Carbonate||2.3 g/L|
Final pH: 6.9 ± 0.1 at 25°C
Formula may be adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance specifications.
- Suspend 38.5 g of the medium in 1L of purified water.
- Heat with frequent agitation and boil for one minute to completely dissolve the medium.
- Autoclave at 110°C for 10 minutes. Cool to 45 - 50°C.
- Aseptically add 2 vials of X196 BCYE growth supplement to make BCYE agar with Legionella growth supplements.
- To make GVPC selective medium additionally add 2 vials of X195 GVPC selective supplement
- Mix thoroughly and continuing mixing throughout dispensing. NOTE: X196 supplement can be substituted with X197 supplement (without the addition of X195 selective supplement) to prepare presumptive identification plates.
Product was previously known as Acumedia Product: 7728 BCYE Agar Base; and LabM Product: LAB195 BCYE Legionella Isolation Medium
|Product #||Product Description|
|NCM0037A||BCYE Agar (Legionella Isolation Medium), 500 g|
|NCM0037B||BCYE Agar (Legionella Isolation Medium), 5 kg|
|NCM0037C||BCYE Agar (Legionella Isolation Medium), 10 kg|
|NCM0037D||BCYE Agar (Legionella Isolation Medium), 25 kg (European only size)|
|NCM0037E||BCYE Agar (Legionella Isolation Medium), 50 kg (US only size)|
NCM0037 - BCYE (Legionella Isolation Medium), Safety Data Sheet [Danish] [Dutch] [English] [EU English] [Finnish] [French] [German] [Italian] [Spanish, Mexico] [Swedish]
NCM0037 - BCYE (Legionella Isolation Medium), Technical Specifications Sheet [English]
For additional information or questions about product SDS documents, please contact Neogen at SDS@neogen.com.