Product number: 7245
Lowenstein-Jensen Medium is used with fresh egg and glycerol for the isolation and differentiation of Mycobacterium spp. in a laboratory setting. Lowenstein-Jensen Medium is not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions in humans.
The use of egg-based media for primary isolation of mycobacteria have two significant advantages. First, egg-based media support a wide variety of mycobacteria. Second, growth of mycobacteria on egg media can be used for niacin testing. Liquefaction of Lowenstein-Jensen Medium can occur if contaminated with proteolytic organisms.
Lowenstein-Jensen Medium is a modification of Lowenstein Medium, modified by Jensen. Jensen modified the medium by alternating the citrate and phosphate contents, eliminating congo red dye, and increasing malachite green concentration. Lowenstein-Jensen Medium is commonly used in the clinical laboratory to isolate acid fast organisms from sterile and nonsterile sources.
|Monopotassium Phosphate||2.5 g|
|Magnesium Sulfate||0.24 g|
|Sodium Citrate||0.6 g|
|Malachite Green||0.4 g|
|Potato Flour||30 g|
Final pH: 7.2 ± 0.2 at 25°C
Formula may be adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance specifications.
Glycerol, 12 mL
Egg Suspension, 1000 mL
- Dissolve 37.3 g of the medium in 600 mL of purified water containing 12 mL of glycerol.
- Heat with frequent agitation to completely dissolve the medium.
- Autoclave at 121°C for 15 minutes.
- Prepare 1000 mL of a uniform suspension of fresh eggs under aseptic conditions. Avoid whipping air into suspension during the collection and mixing.
- Aseptically mix the 1000 mL of egg suspension with 600 mL of the sterile Lowenstein-Jensen Medium cooled to 50 – 60°C, avoiding air bubbles.
- Dispense the finished medium into sterile screw-cap test tubes. Place the tubes in a slanted position and heat at 85°C for 45 minutes.
|Product #||Product Description|
|7245A||Lowenstein-Jensen Medium, 500 g|
|7245T||Lowenstein-Jensen Medium, 5 kg|
|7245C||Lowenstein-Jensen Medium, 10 kg|
For additional information or questions about product SDS documents, please contact Neogen at SDS@neogen.com.