Product number: 7307
Legionella Agar is used for the isolation of Legionella spp. in a laboratory setting. Legionella Agar is not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions in humans.
In 1977, McDade et al. identified Legionella pneumophila as the causative agent of Legionnaires' disease, a multisystem disease manifested primarily by pneumonia. In 1978 a new medium, F-G Agar, resulted in improved growth of L. pneumophila, a very fastidious organism. Freely et al. modified F-G Agar by substituting yeast extract as a vitamin source and replacing starch with activated charcoal, producing Charcoal Yeast Extract (CYE) Agar. In 1980, Pasculle et al. reported that CYE Agar could be improved by the addition of ACES (N-2-acetamido-2-aminoethane sulfonic acid) buffer. One year later, Edelstein further increased the sensitivity of the medium by adding the potassium salt of alpha-ketoglutaric acid.
|Yeast Extract||11.5 g|
|Charcoal, Activated||1.5 g|
|ACES Buffer||6 g|
Final pH: 6.85 ± 0.2 at 25°C
Formula may be adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance specifications.
Supplements / 10 mL
L-Cysteine (4%), sterile
Ferric Pyrophosphate (2.5%), sterile
- Suspend 37 g of the medium in one liter of purified water.
- Adjust pH to 6.8 – 6.9 with 1N KOH.
- DO NOT heat prior to sterilization.
- Autoclave at 121°C for 15 minutes. Cool to 45 – 50°C.
- Aseptically add 10 mL of a sterile solution of L-Cysteine (4%) and Ferric Pyrophosphate (2.5%).
- Mix and determine pH. If necessary, aseptically adjust pH to 6.85 – 7.0 with a sterilized solution of 1N HCl or 1N KOH. Add inhibitor solutions if required. Dispense with agitation.
|Product #||Product Description|
|7307T||Legionella Agar, 5 kg|
|7307C||Legionella Agar, 10 kg|
For additional information or questions about product SDS documents, please contact Neogen at SDS@neogen.com.